COVID -19 Update
January 28th, 2021
A Mid Island Co-op team member at the Bowen Road Gas Bar reported a COVID-19 positive result and is at home isolating while awaiting recovery. We are working with Island Health to investigate the case and we have reached out to all team members who may have been in close contact with this team member.
To help protect our community, we have taken the following actions:
- We have reviewed the employee’s work schedule, and any employees that have had direct contact have been contacted to determine any additional self-isolation protocols.
- As soon as the confirmed COVID-19 case was reported to us, we contacted the public health authority, and we continue to comply with all direction they provide.
- We have now completed a deep-clean of the location, paying particular attention to areas where the employee worked and all surfaces they may have contacted. Our site does remain open but at any time, we are prepared to temporarily close a location to ensure the safety of our community.
We appreciate the work being done by all our employees in serving the community and we are working to support them as we make our way through this pandemic together. This is why when any of our employees feels unwell, they are asked to stay home and if showing COVID-19 symptoms, they are directed to self-isolate and follow the government public health guidelines.
We understand the ongoing impacts of COVID-19, which is why we are committed to being transparent and will disclose pertinent details about any confirmed cases while also ensuring the confidentiality of our individual team members.
CEO, Mid Island Co-op
Our Commitment to Health and Safety
Covid-19 Safety Plan
Updated November 3, 2020
Dear Valued Member/Owners and Guests,
This year, we have been focused on ensuring the health and safety of our team and our guests by following all recommendations of top health experts, the BC Ministry of Health and WorkSafe BC. Mid Island Co-op's Health & Safety Manager review the Covid-19 risk daily so that Co-op remains aware of positive and negative trends. Below are the current health and safety guidelines we practice across all locations. For those wanting to review the full CoVid-19 Safety Plan for team members and guests, please see the attachment available at the bottom of this page.
- Team members and customers are required to maintain a physical distance of at least 6 feet between themselves, customers and contractors.
- Only one employee is permitted behind the POS area at one time.
- Only one customer is permitted to process payment at the main POS area at one time
- Signage is displayed at all locations assisting customers & team members to ensure this distance is adhered to.
- Plexi barriers have been installed at all POS areas and only one customer at a time is permitted to process payment at the main POS area.
- Only one employee is permitted in the site office at one time.
- No more than two employees are permitted in the backroom at one time. At some retails, to maintain social distancing, only one employee may be permitted in the backroom.
- A sandwich board is placed outside of each location communicating the number of customers allowed in each location at one time based on the square footage of that location.
Number of Customers Permitted in the Retail at one Time
The number of customers permitted in the retail at one time is to be calculated by the site manager and approved by the operations manager and HSE manger prior to implementation.
- Additional sanitizing products are kept on hand to accommodate increased sanitizing.
- Zep FS Supermarket cleaner is used to sanitize.
- Employees have the appropriate WHIMIS training and product specific training prior to using the sanitizing product.
- Sanitizing frequency at all retail sites takes place at least once per hour and includes all high-risk surfaces: pay point, fridge & freezer door handles, washrooms, etc. A schedule is used to track all sanitization.
- Employees are required to sanitize their hands after handing cash, loyalty cards, credit cards and to maintain frequent hand sanitization throughout the day.
Pay attention to your health and how you are feeling. If you are sick, please stay home and take the BC Covid-19 Self-Assessment or contact 811. Anyone who is sick or showing symptoms of Covid-19 is prohibited from entering any location, this includes:
- Anyone who has had symptoms of Covid-19 in the last 10 days. Symptoms include fever, shills, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, and new muscle aches or headaches.
- Anyone directed by Public Health to self-isolate.
- Anyone who has arrived from outside Canada or who has had contact with a confirmed Covid-19 case must self-isolate for 14 days and monitor for symptoms.